Ripon's Booth War: Aftermath of the Fugitive Slave Act in Wisconsin




J. H. Brinkerhoff & G. K. Jennings, Editors

Wednesday, August 1, 1860 [3:44]

Sherman M. Booth Rescued
     At 12:15 to-day Sherman M. Booth was rescued from the United States Custom House at Milwaukee, and now breathes the fresh country air of Wisconsin. He made a short speech in this village this evening and told a determination to kill and be killed rather than be re-taken.--The Sentinel tells how it was done:
     A few minutes after 12 o'clock, ten determined men walked leisurely up the Custom House steps. They might have been taken for merchants having business with the Collector. They seemed entirely unconcerned, and were talking of every day matters. Burke was the sentinel on duty--they presented a card of admission to see Booth--Burke looked at it, and stepped into the guard room for the keys. As he came out a visitor seized either arm, another pointed a pistol at his head and requested him to keep cool--the door to Booth's room was unlocked--Booth was invited to walk out--Burke was invited to walk in--the key was turned, and Booth and his friends walked out of the building--down Wisconsin street--across to Second street, to the residence of his brother-in-law, where a large crowd assembled to greet him.
     From there he was conveyed a few miles into the country, in a wagon, where he took the cars, and arrived here on the five o'clock train.

     THE Waupun Wide-Awakes are requested to meet on Wednesday as Thursday evenings next, at 7 o'clock, at the Wide-Awake Head quarters.

Hans C. Heg, Captain
Waupun, July 31st, 1860

     AT A MEETING of the Republican Club, held at Dodge Hall last Wednesday evening a Wide-Awake Company was formed. Sixty-four names were enrolled, and considerable enthusiasm was manifested. The regulations of the Janesville Wide-Awakes were read, and, after being amended, were adopted. They are as follows:
     1st--This is a branch of the Waupun Republican Club, and shall be known as the "Wide Awake Club."
     2d--Any person who has attained to the age of eighteen years, who will aid and support the Republican candidates, and furnish himself with the style of uniform adopted by this Club, may become a member thereof.
     3d--Every person shall, before he is recognized as a member of this Club, sign these articles.
     4th--The officers of this Club shall be a Captain, 1st, 2d, 3d and 4th Lieutenants, and Treasurer. The Captain shall have command of the Club at all times; in his absence the Lieutenants shall have command in the order of their rank.
     5th--Every member of this club shall attend all the meetings whether regular or special; and when on duty or in attendance at the meetings, shall obey the officers in command, and shall at all times perform such duties as shall be required of him by the officers in command.
     6th--It is the object of this club--
     1st. To act as a political police.
     2d. To do escort duty to all prominent Republican speakers who visit our village to address our citizens.
     3d. To attend all public meetings in a body and see that order is kept, and that the speaker and meeting is not disturbed.
     4th. To attend the polls and see that justice is done every legal voter.
     5th. To conduct ourselves in such a manner as to induce all Republicans to join us.
     6th. To be a body joined together in large numbers to work for the good of the Republican ticket.
     The following officers were then elected:
     Captain--Hans C. Heg.
     1st Lieut.--Andrew Clark.
     2d Lieut.--I. P. Randall.
     3d Lieut.--Wm. Ware.
     4th Lieut.--M. J. Althouse.
     Treasurer.--Geo. W. Butterfield.
     L. B. Hills was elected Corresponding Secretary of the club. The officers were authorized to obtain uniforms, and a resolution was passed requesting members to pay one dollar to the treasurer for the purpose of procuring the same. The uniform, it was decided, should consist of a cap, cape, and torch. On Thursday evening there was a drill meeting at Wirt's Ware-house, which was well attended. Several new names were added to the roll-call. Another drill-meeting is called for this evening, at the same place. Let every Republican who has the good of the cause and the fame of our village at heart be in attendance. Such as deem themselves too old to join the Wide-Awakes, are not debarred the privilege of uniforming a substitute. There are many who wish to join, but lack the means, offering a good field for political philanthropists. Our young Republican friends in the country, who reside sufficiently near town to attend the meetings are cordially invited to join.


Wednesday, August 8, 1860 [3:45]

Booth at the Prison--The facts in the Case
The Milwaukee News having published an article reflecting quite severely upon the State Prison Commissioner for secreting Booth. Mr. Heg wrote to the Sentinel and Free Democrat, giving the following facts in the case:
Mr. Booth stepped into my office last Wednesday evening, and not dreaming that my election to the office of State Prison Commissioner made it necessary for me to discard any of the feelings I naturally might have for an old acquaintance, I invited him to partake of such hospitalities as I could give him. And here let me state, that only about four weeks ago I extended the same hospitalities to Marshal Lewis, although I had heard it said that he was a kidnapper, and he told me himself that he had only a short time before been tried before a court of justice for violation of the laws of this state--and for aught I know had indictments hanging over him at the time. I asked him no questions about these matters for the very simple reason that it was none of my business.
He stayed with me over night, ate at the same table, and slept in the same bed that Sherman M. Booth did, and if the editor of the News will point out the law making it my duty to examine persons under oath, or otherwise, as to their antecedents, before I allow them to visit me, I will acknowledge that I have violated my duty.
Mr. Booth was around all day Thursday, calling upon his friends in the village, and you may judge then, of my astonishment when Deputy Marshall Garlick yesterday morning called at my office with the following note:

"Waupun, Wis., Aug 2, 1860
"Hans C. Heg, Esq., State Prison Commissioner, Wisconsin:
"SIR--I am credibly informed that Sherman M. Booth, a United States prisoner, who has lately been rescued from the custody of the United States Marshall, is at this time secreted and harbored within the prison walls of Waupun. Having in my possession a warrant for his arrest, issued under the seal of the United States District Court, for the District of Wisconsin, and properly tested, you are hereby required, if said Booth is within your prison walls, to surrender him into my custody; and, in case of necessity, to assist me with police of the Prison in executing the laws of the United States. An answer in writing is required [Signed]
"J. H. LEWIS, U. S. Marshall,
by F. HENRY, Deputy."

     To which I made the following reply.

"Waupun, Aug. 3, 1860.
Dear Sir:--Your note of Aug. 2d is received, and in answer to it allow me to say that Mr. Booth is not secreted within the prison walls. He is at present visiting with me, and at his own liberty to go wherever he pleases.

"As to rendering you any assistance to aid you in his arrest, allow me politely to say that my force is at present employed in a more profitasble and honorable way.

"I am, very truly yours,
"HANS C. HEG, S. P. C."

     While writing the reply to Marshal Lewis' letter, I had Booth called into the office from his breakfast, and introduced him to Deputy Marshal Garlick, and then in the presence of half a dozen persons invited him and gave him all the opportunity he wanted to arrest him. Mr. Booth was here all day yesterday. The gate was ready to be opened at any call from any one; I even sent an invitation to Deputy Marshal Henry to come up to the prison, but the Marshal never made his appearance. In the evening Mr. Booth appeared in Dodge Hall, in this village, and spoke to a large audience of people, to which, I believe, even the Deputy Marshals themselves will testify.
After which Mr. Booth went through to Ripon in a carriage. These are the plain facts in the case, and for the benefit of the News and those that may have expressed their fears that by allowing Mr. Booth to eat at my table, I had as a State officer implicated the State of Wisconsin in any controversy with the authorities of Uncle Sam, I will say that all I have done officially in this matter is in simply writing the reply to Marshal Lewis' letter.


     BOOTH AT RIPON--ATTEMPT TO ARREST HIM.--An "Extra" from the Ripon Times office says that while Booth was speaking at the City Hall in that city, on Saturday evening last, Deputy Marshal F. D. McCarty, of Fond du Lac suddenly appeared on the platform, and said, "I have a warrant for your arrest, Mr. Booth." He barely succeeded in putting one hand upon Mr. Booth, when he was pulled away by bystanders, and after rough handling, right speedily done, he, the said McCarty, was "exposed to the atmosphere." Feeling that a little exercise would be a good thing, he had no sooner got himself [i]nto favorable position (after picking himself off from his face, upon which he had fallen when thrown down the stairs) than he scooted, with speed amazing, for the Mapes House, where were his backers, who appeared at the door, armed, and forbid his pursuers to enter. At the Hall, a resolution was passed that Booth should not be re-arrested in Ripon. A League of Freedom was formed, and one hundred and twenty names were quickly enrolled. Bovay was elected President and Allen, of the Times, Secretary of the League. The members are all pledged to resist any attempt to execute the Fugitive Slave Act. A vigilance committee of twelve, headed by Prof. Daniels, was appointed. Booth spent the night at Prof. Daniels residence, around which was posted a strong guard. On Sunday, the people from the country poured in, and were addressed in the afternoon by Booth, LaGrange, and McKee.--From the grove where the talking had been done, Booth was conducted to the Hall by an armed guard. The Hall was taken possession of, and guards stationed for its defence [sic]. A committee was appointed to wait on the Deputy Marshals and request them to leave town. Word was returned that they were "U. S. officers, that they had in their possession a warrant for S. M. Booth, and they should depart quietly when such departure was consistent with the performance of their duties.
Sunday evening Booth remained in the Hall, strongly guarded--Monday morning Booth was gone, the public know not where. The blood hounds, too, we hear, have lost the track.

     In the following style talks the News of what Marshal Lewis done and how he acted after Booth had left Salsman's [Booth's Milwaukee brother-in-law]:

Booth had gone, and the Marshal stood looking at the hole which he was seen last to pass through, in a state of delicious uncertainty as to the Martyr's whereabouts, and what to do regarding it. As a dernier resort, however, he stationed three or four small boys around the house to watch it, while he went to consult his political confreres and order out the military. Previous to this, Salsman had announced that booth would speak from the steps of that building at four o'clock; but he couldn't fool the officers with such stuff as that.--As he departed an anxious spectator inquired of Jehu [U. S. Marshal Jehu H. Lewis] what course he was going to pursue, when he feelingly replied with a deep drawn sigh: "I'll be d----d if I know what to do," and we are fully convinced that he didn't.

      The Waupun Times, says that Booth has applied to Buchanan to be released from imprisonment. We think the report is premature, but have no doubt he will make the application to Douglas.--Horicon Argus
The Times has not so stated, and doubts what the Argus does not doubt.

      A REGULAR DEMOCRAT.--The Rev. Dr. Daily, recently deposed from the Presidency of the Bloomington College, Indiana, and expelled from the church for drunkenness and unchastity, has been nominated for Congress by the Democrats of the Madison district in that State.

Sat.'s Letter to Jehu
In Monday's News appears a letter from Sat. Clark, of Horicon, to Marshal Jehu, who wanted Sat. to arrest Booth as he came through Horicon. We extract:

     Upon the receipt of your dispatch, I armed myself with one of John Brown's lances , and rode through the streets shouting at the top of my voice, "Freemen to the rescue!" I was immediately surrounded by an armed force of 1,000, more or less, (as republicans estimate the numbers attending their ratification meetings,) who eagerly inquired what was wanted. I explained in as few words as possible that Booth had been rescued from the Hon. Jehu H. Lewis, U. S. Marshal, and that I had been notified that he was on the cars, to arrive in about half an hour. The inquiry was then made whether you did not hold office under the present Federal Administration; and upon being told that you did, they set up such a shout of derision as would have been gratifying to your vanity to have heard, and declared that old Buck [President Buchanan] and his minions might catch their own rogues for all of them; and that, if the officers appointed by Old Buck were too imbecile to discharge their duty, he ought to discharge them and appoint Democrats in their stead. * * * I tried to persuade them that you were as efficient and honest as any man supporting this Administration, and while they did not dispute that proposition, they declared that though Old Buck , at the date of your appointment, pretended to be a democrat, he nevertheless appointed you against the known wishes of every respectable democrat in the State; that your nomination was confirmed by the Senate through the influence of republicans, for the sole purpose of rendering the democratic party ridiculous * * * * While I could not deny these allegations, I nevertheless tried my best to pacify them, and induce them to assist me not only to arrest Booth but his body guard led by one LaGrange. I told them not to be afraid, hoping to arouse them by appealing to their courage, but it was no go. * * * * Then I sneaked off to find H. E. C., the only Breckinridge [Southern Democratic candidate for President] man in this part of the State, who I thought would sympathize with me; but I found that as soon as he heard that Booth was rescued, he left for Kekoskee.
I really believe, notwithstanding the above, that the democrats of this place are as brave and loyal as any community that ever lived. * * * Hoping to retain your confidence and esteem I remain as ever,

Very respectfully
Your admirer,

     P. S.--Please write to Old Buck and inform him of the extraordinary services I tried to render.

     MARSHALL LEWIS' ATTEMPT TO MURDER SALSMAN.--About 7 o'clock on Saturday evening as Mr. T. J. Salsman, accompanied by his wife and another lady, was passing along Michigan St., in front of the Newhall House, Jehu H. Lewis, U. S. Marshal, spoke to him, and Mr. Salsman turning back to ascertain what he said, approached him, and told him if he ever drew a revolver on him again, one or the other of them would die. This had reference to a circumstances [sic] which occurred at the office with an order from Mr. Booth for some books and pictures he had lent the prisoner while shut up in the Bastile [as the Free Democrat referred to the Milwaukee Custom House where Booth was held].--Lewis refused to give them up, and some words ensuing, the Marshal stepped to his desk, drew a revolver and advancing towards Salsman, said "I arrest you."--Salsman told him if he advanced another step he would split his head open. The Marshal was cowed, and Salsman said that he was authorized to say to him that he could have six days to leave town, otherwise he would be tarred and feathered.--Salsman then passed out of his office and came away.
It was in reference to this transaction that Salsman spoke in the evening. And in turning to leave, Lewis said, "You will tar and feather me, will you? G--d d--n you I'll kill you." And at the same instant, raising a "loaded" cane which he had purchased for the purpose during the day, struck Salsman over the head a "spring blow," with the intention of killing him on the spot. But fortunately for the demented old fool he struck about an inch too far back, and, although Salsman was knocked senseless upon the side-walk (or soon became so) he did not succeed in killing him, and Salsman will doubtless recover and live long enough to dance on his grave, if he dies in any decent season.
Salsman was placed in a carriage and taken to his residence where he was attended by Drs. Luke, Grey and Perry, where he is doing as well as could be expected.
In the meantime, Lewis went into his old bastile and locked himself in to keep clear of the officers and an excited populace, who would have handled him roughly had he got into their hands on Saturday night. We would not have given a rush light for his chances to life had he appeared upon [t]he street that night.
A warrant was placed in the hands of officer Capron, who with a large volunteer force kept an eye upon the bastile during the night and in the morning he was arrested, but the officer let the murderer, go upon his parole of honar [sic]! We say murderer, for the reason that murder was in his heart--he intended to kill his man and it is not his fault that he failed in his purpose. It was the sheerest accident that he did not.
Now then for a mock trial, in which the dilapidated old villain will plead "ignornance" again, and cheat the penitentiary our of a victim.--Free Democrat, Monday.

     BOOTH IN WAUPUN.--Booth is rusticating up in Waupun. He arrived there on Wednesday last, and made a short speech, in which he expressed a determination "to kill and be killed rather than be retaken." Of course Jehu will know what to expect. Many rumors were afloat yesterday, regarding the occur[r]ence, and the various remarks passed upon the subject were decidedly amusing. The Marshal is, as usual, deliberating and regarding curiously the front door of the house through which the Martyr's coat tails were last seen streaming.--News, 3d.

     ESCAPE OF BOOTH.--We suppose our telegraph columns contain all the news of importance on this subject. It was a very daring and cunning act, on the part of the rescuers. It displayed courage equal to that of Douglas, in running for President. It is a capital offence on their part, and it cannot fail that some of the rescuers should not be apprehended.--Argus & Democrat.

     BOOTH ON HIS TRAVELS.--Well, Booth has escaped--his friends came and took him away while Jehu was asleepeth.--Well, this is none of our business--it must all be between the Administration and the Black Republicans. If the Republicans are sincere in their professions, they were in duty bound to set Booth free, and if the Administration is sincere, it is bound by all its power to "rescue" him, and again imprison him. The Douglas Democracy have nothing to do with the game. Let the Black Republicans and the Bucks engage in the "Irrepressible Conflict." Jehu, you now have a wide field of glory open befor[e] you.

--On, ye brave,
And rush to glory or the grave.

--Madison Patriot

     SAT. DECLINES THE HONOR.--When Sat. Clark was telegraphed to arrest Booth on the train at Horicon, Booth made his acquaintance, and on saying to him that he understood he had directions to arrest him, he replied that he was not in that business--that he was in the flouring business--not in the Millering business just now.--Free Dem.


Wednesday, August 15, 1860 [3:46]

     Somebody has been hoaxing Frank Hyde [editor of the Berlin News]. He copies into his News, a portion of a letter written by a "reliable citizen" of this village who says: "One of the military company told me that he was notified on Friday to be ready, and if the prison bell tolled three times, it would be a sign that Maj. Heg wanted the military to protect Booth." Now this is all gammon [?]. In the first place Maj. Heg has no more authority over "the military" than the man in the moon, and in the second place many of "the military" are of such political stripe as Major Heg would not have been likely to call upon for help in a contingency like that referred to by the writer. Again, this "reliable citizen" says: "Wm. Ware and a lot more staid [sic] at the prison to protect him while there. He said they went prepared to shed blood before he should be taken back."--This we know to be untrue. The writer may have been misinformed--there were many rumors that lacked foundation afloat "about those days"--but that makes the assertion no less a falsehood.

     Too Large.--Lewis, the renowned United States Marshal for Wisconsin, offers a[s] reward $100 for the arrest of Booth. As the times are hard, we would suggest that the Marshal do the job himself and save the money. After knocking the sap out of poor Salsman, he has certainly show[n] himself brave neough to--hide in a smokehouse!--La Croesse Dem. [sic]

     Booth is not in Waupun.

     THE SLAVE TRADE.--The Charleston Courier of July 31st contains the following cool editorial paragraph:

AFRICAN ARRIVALS.--A cargo of ebony strangers landed on the coast, not two hundred miles from this city, on Wednesday morning. Many of them have gone to the interior to study the growth of cotton, corn and rice.

The Marshal must have been highly grateful for the opportunity thus afforded him by Heg, of entering single-handed into the presence of half a dozen of Booth's friends, who were armed to the teeth, and sworn to protect him with their lives.--Berlin News.

     Raw-bead and bloody-bones, Frank [Frank Hyde, editor of the Berlin News].--Not a man would have interfered between them, as the officer was assured; besides Booth offered to go outside the gate alone with this officer, who no doubt was grateful that circumstances would enable him to get up a good excuse for not accepting Booth's proposition.
That part of Frank's paper which is devoted to this matter is as good as a story-book. We extract some:

Booth addressed the Republicans of Ripon Saturday night, and during his speech, McArthur, a Deputy U. S. Marshal, stepped upon the stage and arrested him. Booth essayed to draw his pistol, but the Marshal caught his hand. Immediately thirty or forty Ripon wide-awakes rushed upon the stage, yelling shoot him, stab him, &c. Prof Daniels endeavored to shoot the Marshal, but was prevented. He was hustled out of the room. He was then stabbed several times during the melee, but not fatally injured.

     Now the question is, who "was then stabbed several times during the melee?" It couldn't have been Booth or Daniels, for in that case Frank would have talked louder; it couldn't have been Marshal McCarty, for we saw him the next day but one looking very unlike he had been "then stabbed several times in the melee." Perhaps however the stabs may have been inflicted by the persons and weapons named last in this next paragraph:

We understand that a large delegation of Free Lovers from Ceresco were in attendance, the men armed with pistols and knives, and the women with "slung-shot," made by putting a good sized stone in the toe of a stocking.

     But after all the bug-a-booing he could think of, Frank comes down to earnestness, and says:

We are certain that two determined men would have had him back in his old quarters long before this, but long as he makes good Republican speeches, old Buck won't be one of the two.

     The Free Democrat of Saturday after saying that the people of Ripon have not only manifested the Christian virtues by their conduct; but have upheld the law against lawlessness, and defended the sovereignty of the State, when its natural protection had turned their backs upon their duties in that respect, adds:

Now, we say, let Mr. Booth be as generous as the people of the country have shown themselves. He has a right to go where he pleases, to make speeches or be silent, or to do whatsoever pleases him, that is in itself lawful, and doubtless the people will protect him in so doing. But is there any necessity for thus taxing the watchfulness of the people, and leading them into difficulty and danger? It is very evident that during the life of this administration he can maintain his personal liberty within the State only by a continual fight, which will have accomplished no more when the administration does come to an end and the fight ceases, than if it had been avoided by his absence or withdrawal during that time to a place of security or safety. The trouble in his case exists in a place where no amount of fighting or bloodshed will make any difference, to wit: in the Supreme Court. In our apprehension then, in view of the circumstances of the case, and in view also of the further fact that his position in other respects is such as to call for more than ordinary sacrifices on the part of the friends of freedom in defending him, it would be not only generous but just in him to relieve them of that trouble by withdrawing to a place of safety. Any other course, will result perhaps in bloodshed, and very probably in returning him again to a lock up in the Custom House.
In the meantime it is quite certain that the States rights principle will get before the court, relieved of the complications attending upon it in his case, and the State will be set right and her position vindicated.

     The Republicans had a glorious good time at Fond du Lac last Wednesday evening, on the occasion of a pic-nic arranged by the ladies of that city for the Wide-Awakes. The number present has been estimated at upwards of three thousand.--There was a brilliant torch-light procession.

     REPUBLICANISM IN LAMARTINE.--The Republicans of Lamartine have organized a club for the purpose of disseminating true principles. The town has been canvassed, and a fund raised to put documents in the hands of all. There was a good turn out at the last meeting. All seemed determined to do what they could to secure the election of the Republican nominees, and thus vindicate Republican principles. Messrs. Carter, of Fairwater, and LaGrange of Ripon, made effective speeches, which were received with applause. We promise a strong Republican vote next November. F. G. CLARK.

     GARLICK'S TESTIMONY.--The officer that carried Lewis' requisition to Major Heg, has made affidavit as follows:

     DISTRICT OF WISCONSIN, SS:--William H. Garlick being duly sworn on oath says that he is a Deputy Marshal for the District of Wisconsin, residing in Milwaukee, that after the rescue of Sherman M. Booth from prison in Milwaukee on the 1st inst., he followed said Booth and those who had him in charge, to Waupun, in this State, and found that Booth was in the State Prison of Wisconsin, that the same evening the said Booth was taken from the Prison to address a public meeting accompanied by Hans C. Heg, the State Prison Commissioner, with a guard of four or five from said Prison, that after addressing said meeting, said Booth was taken back to the Prison by the same guard and about sixty others, that while in Waupun the said Booth resided in the Prison and never left it so far as this deponent could learn, unless he was accompanied by a guard from said Prison, and this deponent learned to his satisfaction that two of the guards from the Prison, were among the rescuers and assisted in rescuing said Booth from the Prison in Milwaukee. That on the 3d inst., this deponent called on said Heg at the State Prison to serve a notice on said Heg from the Marshal, by F. Henry, Deputy, to deliver up and assist in securing said Booth. The notice and the answer are attached to the affidavit of said Henry.
That at this interview with said Heg, he called said Booth into the room in the presence of several of the Prison keepers in this and the adjoining room, and said here is Booth arrest him as you choose, but I advise you not to do it, as, if I was in Booth's place I would shoot you down like a dog, and said he himself would fight until his last drop of blood was gone, and that this deponent ought to be engaged in better business than in holding an office under the Federal Government.
During this time, and in the presence of said Heg said Booth was flourishing a pistol about the head of this deponent, and said that the first man who laid hands on him, he would shoot him down.
Deponent told Booth that he had heard him make that threat before, but that he had been arrested once, and that if he was now in the street he would arrest him again. Said Heg refused to deliver said Booth to this deponent at the gate of the Prison, and the deponent left him. Said Booth was afterwards taken to Ripon, in the carriage of said Heg, on the night of the 3rd inst., accompanied by two of the officers of the Prison, and after making a speech there, was taken back to the Prison on the night of the 5th inst., where according to the best information of this deponent, he is now secreted.


Subscribed and sword to, this 8th day of August, A. D., 1860, before me,

Clerk U. S. Dist. Court, Milwaukee.

     What a difference in the telling!

Wednesday, August 22, 1860 [3:47]

     DANIELS ARRESTED.--Professor Daniels was arrested at Fond du Lac on Thursday morning last, by Deputy Marshal[s] Rogers and McCarty, on charge of assisting Booth to escape from the Bastile at Milwaukee. Mr. Daniels offered no resistance to the officers--notwithstanding some sheets would convey the impression thay they displayed great bravery in the arrest. He had gone to Fond du Lac on business connected with the geological survey. He was taken before Judge Miller, at Milwaukee, but waived an examination, and gave bail, in the sum of $2,000, to appear and answer the charge, at the next term of the U. S. Court. His sureties are C.C. Sholes and L. J. Bonnell.

     LAST WEEK we published the affidavit of office Garlick, concerning his connection with the Booth case, but had no time to refer to its many and glaring imperfection. In the first place the deponent, "being duly sworn upon oath," says:

"After the rescue of Sherman M. Booth from prison in Milwaukee on the 1st inst., he followed said Booth and those who had him in charge, to Waupun, in this State, and found that Booth was in the State Prison of Wisconsin, that the same evening the said Booth was taken from the Prison to address a public meeting accompanied by Hans C. Heg, the State Prison Commissioner, with a guard of four or five from said Prison, that after addressing said meeting, said Booth was taken back to the Prison by the same guard and about sixty others."

     Now, we do not wish to accuse Mr. Garlick of willfully misrepresenting facts in this matter, but as he must have been either much excited, or suffering from lying awake nights thinking "how dear a thing glory is," we would endeavor to set him right in regard to these facts before they have altogether passed from his and the public mind. In the first place, then, Mr. Garlick "followed Mr. Booth to Waupun," the next, and not the same day, as the language of his affidavit would have it. Again, the assertion that Booth was taken from the Prison the same evening that he arrived here, to address a public meeting, accompanied by Heg and others, armed, and that he was taken back to the Prison by them and sixty others, is untrue. Mr. Booth addressed the Wide-Awakes, who happened to be on drill that evening, it is true, but he did not come down to the place of meeting under any escort save that of a gray-haired freeman, whose only arms were those that nature gave him.--Maj. Heg had been in the discharge of his duties as Captain and drill-master of the company, for a considerable time before Mr. Booth left the Prison to come down town, and with the exception of the gentleman referred to as accompanying him, there was not an officer in the Prison yard who could have left his duty to become a "guard." Mr. Booth made a few remarks--very few--which were quietly received, after which he went down town with the gentleman before referred to, and when he got ready he returned to the place where he proposed passing the night. As to the charge that two of the officers of the Prison assisted in the rescue, and that after the first night Booth never left the Prison unless accompanied by some of the officers, it does not concern the Commissioner. When they are off duty and outside the Prison walls he is not responsible for their acts, and if they chose to assist in the rescue of Mr. Booth, or to walk with him in our streets, they done it [sic] on their own behest and risk.
We have conversed with several of those who were present during the interview between Garlick, Heg, and Booth in the Prison office, and have seen statements written by others who were there present, and all of these agree in saying that the facts have been distorted and downright misrepresentations made. When it is proper, and becomes necessary, the falsity of the statements made in this affidavit can and will be shown up. It is not worth while now to throw words away on menials such as Jehu's.

Booth was taken on the railroad to Waupun where he was met by a large body of armed men, who accompanied him to the Prison at that place.--Mil. Enquirer

     If the administration organ is inclided to correct a misstatement, will it inform its readers that no "large body of armed men," or small body either, met Booth on his arrival here, or accompanied him on any of his walks about the village. At the time of his arrival, not a dozen of our citizens knew he had been liberated, and not one that he designed coming here.

Wednesday, August 29, 1860 [3:48]

     ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO ARREST BOOTH.--On Monday Deputy Marshal McCarty made another attempt to arrest Booth, who was stopping in the country, a few miles from Ripon. He was accompanied by some half dozen others, but failed to bring in his game. Within an hour an hundred men had assembled, and Booth was escorted into Ripon. It is said that the chairman of one of the Douglas Ward Committees was one of Booth's defenders.

     The Free Democrat understands that the farm mortgagors are hunting up cases, where the directors of roads have been privy to contracts, for building the same, letting the contracts at enormous figures and making themselves wealthy by dividing the spoils; intending where the cases are clearly proven, as it is claimed many can be, to compel a disgorgement. They will have the sympathy of the whole community in their efforts in that direction.

Wednesday, September 5, 1860 [3:49]

The Late Attempt to Arrest Booth
Booth, in a letter to the Free Democrat, dated Ripon, Aug 27th, gives the particulars of the late attempt to arrest him, as follows:
This morning, at day-break, another attempt was made to kidnap me by six official blood hounds, emissaries of Judge Miller, headed by F. D. McCarty, of Fond du Lac, all armed and equipped as the Federal tyrant of Milwaukee directs. The manner and result of it were in this wise. At the first dawning of light, when all the family were in bed, Mr. Pickett, of Utica, Winnebago Co., living seven miles from this city, at whose house I had been visiting a few days, heard a noise in his front yard, and looking out saw two double teams with drivers standing near his front gate and half a dozen men walking about his yard. He stepped quickly to the next room and informed his son, Mr. James G. Pickett, of the out-door aspect of things, and he at once came to my chamber, tapped at the door, opened it and awakened me, saying:
"There is trouble--they have come for you--there are two double teams and eight men out there. What will you do--resist?"
"Yes," I replied, with some emphasis.
"All right," he responded, with the cool decision of a man about proceedingto ordinary business. He then went down stairs and said to his wife, call up the men--they had eleven workmen in the house--went to the outer door, at which a man-hunter was still knocking, and opened it, when the kidnapper rushed past him into the house, saying "I am after Mr. Booth, where is he?" Mr. Pickett seized him by the throat and thrust him out beyond the stoop. The hound caught hold of Mr. Pickett's shirt sleeve as he was going, slit it to the shoulder, and pulled Mr. Pickett out after him. Two other hounds then seized him, clasped him around his arms and threw him. Mr. Pickett, releasing his right arm, struck the one who first entered his house a blow in the face, starting the claret. In a moment all were on their feet again. Mr. McCarty asked is Mr. Booth was there, saying he wished to arrest him. Mr. Pickett replied that it was none of their business, that I had been there--that he had twelve men in the house and arms, and that the first man who went over the threshhold [sic] was a dead man, and that Mr. Booth would shoot the first man who attempted to arrest him. The Deputy who had been hit, smarting from the sore of his wounds, cried out, "Why don't you go in and take Mr. Booth out? Are you afraid? Give me the command and I'll arrest him." McCarty replied that he didn't want any blood shed; that he wished to reason the matter. McCarty then sent one team back to Ripon for help, and Mr. Pickett sent out messengers on horseback, in different directions, to Ripon, to West Rosendale, &c., Mr. McCarty declaring that he would have a hundred men there in an hour or more, and Mr. Pickett declaring that he would have a hundred men there first.--Then two of the Deputies adjourned to a tavern near by for refreshments, and the neighboring farmers began to assemble.--The Marshals who were posted in the rear of the house to prevent my escape withdrew to the fort. The Stewart neighborhood now poured in its tribute of armed men, and after some very plain talk the Deputies returned to their carriages. The tables were now turned. Instead of being watchers they were the watched. Instead of being besiegers they were now the besieged. The Ripon recruits now began to come in, in wagon loads around, resembling an old fashioned general training in the State of New York. McCarty's team was started to go, but his horse's bits were seized by the crowd, and he was very promptly informed that "meeting was not yet out," that he had better wait for his hundred men to come and help him take Mr. Booth. He was kept an hour and compelled to listen to such lectures on kidnapping as he will not soon forget.--He told the farmers that he had been only discharging his orders--that Judge Miller requested him them to take command of the pieces of the Revenue Cutter and such other pieces as he could raise and come up and take me, and he refused to do so, and left, supposing nothing more would be done about it--that after returning home the papers were again sent him with an order from Judge Miller to make another trial--that he had done so, and he was satisfied from the exhibition of the temper of the people that Mr. Booth could not be arrested--that he should go to Milwaukee, make his return to the Court and advise them to give up the attempt to take Mr. Booth, and he pledged his word and honor over and over again never to make another attempt to arrest me, and if Judge Miller or the Marshal insisted on his doing it he would resign. The crowd now proposed to call me out for a speech, (I was then standing on the portico of the house some five or six rods from the carriage). He begged them to spare him this, saying that he had pledged his honor not to attempt to arrest me again. But a few words would have been sufficient to have produced an unpleasant state of things on the part of the kidnappers. They were finally, on the faith of McCarty's promises suffered to depart in peace. Not long after another load of hounds came up from Ripon, consisting of John S. Horner, T. J. Mapes, Charles Wentworth, and an Irishman. Horner then thrust himself into the house and behaved with great insolence, said he was a Deputy Marshal and had a warrant to arrest--not me, but LaGrange. He conducted so that finally an ox yoke was put on his neck, as in the picture I read. The original had this inscription: "Considering the cause in which I serve, my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Finally a vote was passed unanimously that they might depart this time without mole station, but if they were ever caught in another attempt to aid in kidnapping they would be suitably dealt with.--Thus ended the last attempt tin kidnapping. The farmers, in great numbers for miles in all directions, left their wheat stacking, though the weather had been such that their wheat is suffering, to defend principles dear to them as life. At noon I came to Ripon with the victors and friends, and dined at the City Hotel.

Wednesday, September 12, 1860 [3:50]

     The people of Green Lake have issued an invitation to "all men who love liberty and hate slavers, who are opposed to the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850," &c., to meet in mass at 11 a. m. on Saturday next, at the Green Lake picnic grounds in the town of Green Lake "to consider our rights and duties as citizens of the State." C. Heg and Booth are to speak on the occasion.

     WIDE AWAKES.--Our Wide-Awake boys turned out eighty strong to the Ripon meeting, accompanied by Tyler's Martial and the Waupun Brass Bands. They conducted themselves in the most creditable manner, and at the same time enjoyed themselves hugely.
On Saturday evening about forty went down by teams to Burnett Corners, where Mr. Greene of Mo., Judge Sloan, Billinghurst, of Beaver Dam, and Heg of this village, talked. About sixty of the Beaver Dam Wide-Awakes were also present. We had a right good time--waking up the Burnetters and Juneauses to such a degree that a Wide-Awake Club has been formed in both places.
The Wide-Awakes are doing a good work in the campaign and we like to see their numbers increase.

LAST UPDATED 6/18/1999 If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716 (608) 221-1421.