Bounded on the North by the town of Princeton; on the East by the town of Dayton;* on the South by the town of Kingston; on the West by Marquette county. It is nearly surrounded by marsh, the Grand River on the south and Puckaway on the west and north, a narrow strip of land connecting it with the town of Dayton on the east; the dry land in town is six miles east and west and two miles north and south. Two miles south of the village is about five acres of an uneven, irregular mass of rocks--a species of granite--the south side falling off into a sandy flat terminating in Grand River marsh; this mass of rocks is thirty feet high, broken and uneven; to the west an interval of twenty rods of marsh, rises another mass of the same formation covered with a growth of small cedars and oaks; half a mile farther north for a mile or more on the north shore of the marsh, rising from its edge, is an uneven, broken mass of the same formation extending west for nearly a mile; as it passes west, bearing inland for nearly half a mile, at its termination; rocks of the same formation in the towns of Seneca and Berlin.
The town is high, elevated, rolling lands; high lands clay loam; valleys sandy; fair quality of land, produces good crops.
Lake Puckaway, lying north and west of the town, about eight miles east and west and half a mile north and south. This lake, properly speaking, is a bay, Fox River running through it south-west to north-east; good fishing; a great place for ducks; the valley from shore to shore, north and south, is some four miles.
The first settler in this town, and in the county, was a Mr. Gleason, an Indian Trader, from the state of Vermont; he located in the village previous to 1831; had a store and land on the flat under cultivation.
Town organized 1849--H. A. Butterfield, J. Conley and J. Boyle, Supervisors; D. W. Akin, Clerk. First election forty votes, including all the west part of Marquette county.
Population Yankees, with the exception of a settlement of Norwegians, in north-west part of the town--about twenty families. Number of school districts, three. The population of the town, including the village, is about 800.
The village [of Marquette] is built upon the low, sandy flat adjoining the river; the hill-side may be fifty or sixty feet high; along the face of this hill are some good dwellings, rather tastily and very pleasantly located, embowered in trees and shrubbery, the trees standing and scattered over the face of the hill and at its foot, as nature planted them. No village in the county presents so picturesque a view.
John C. Gillespy, The History
* Dayton Township was subsequently absorbed by the towns of Green Lake and Marquette, the eastern two and a half sections running north-south becoming part of Green Lake and the western three and a half sections part of Marquette.
|Last updated 11/7/1999||This site represents an ongoing effort to collect information related to the history of the town of Marquette. If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at email@example.com or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716 (608) 221-1421.|