Land Patent Records--Town of Brooklyn and Surrounding Area
Bounded on the North by the town of Berlin, on the East by Ripon, Fond du Lac county, on the South by the town of Green Lake, on the West by St. Marie and Princeton. This town at its settlement was called Lexington; at its organization January 10th, 1849, changed to Arcade; in the winter of 1850, was re-christened with the name of Brooklyn.
About 3,200 acres of this town are covered by the waters of Green Lake; about one-third marsh, one-third cultivated, and one-third in the state of nature.
In the northeast quarter of the town there are about 1,000 acres of as good prairie land as can be found in the State, all under cultivation. This prairie falls with rather a lengthy descent to the south. At the foot of this hill lime stone crops out, and has been quarried to some extent, and to all appearance is inexhaustible; it makes good building stone, also a good quality of lime. To the south till you cross Silver Creek, the land is much broken; soil mostly clay loam. Marsh along the east line of the town, whilst to the west of this the soil become sandy, and quite handsome rolling lands; the highlands bordering the marshes and streams sandy, the more elevated clay loam; as a general thing valleys rather sandy. Lands covered, generally, with a thrifty growth of oaks, and as in most all other localities, a dense growth of underbrush, since the annual fires have ceased destroying young and tender plants sprouting from year to year.
Brooklyn Mills, a small village, on S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 16. The roads from Berlin and Ripon to Dartford village intersect here; there is a stone grist mill, three stories high, two run of stone; built in 1851, by Prame and Hall; also one saw mill; about one-fourth of the water of the Puckayan used. The mills are ten miles south of Berlin, six miles west of Ripon. Some half a dozen dwellings; one unoccupied store; black smith shop.
Bluffton, once so celebrated as having the best water power in the State, is situated in the northwest part of the town; here was a grand chance to have made a fortune, if the owner had been less sanguine and visionary; nothing less than a large city was to be built at this place, having the whole of Green Lake and Puckayan marsh as a reservoir, some eighteen miles long by an average of two miles in breadth, with a fall or head of eighteen feet; no bounds could be put to its future growth .
[Dartford] is pleasantly situated at the outlet of Green Lake, on a somewhat high point of sandy land between the lake and the Puckayan, which runs through the low lands north side of the village. It has a population of about 500; most of whom in their younger days learned to sing or whistle Yankee Doodle.
At this place there is a large Grist Mill, four stories high, three run of stone, capable of manufacturing 150 bbls. of flour in twenty-four hours; built in 1849; has all the modern improvements, and is owned by J. C. Sherwood; one Machine Shop, consisting of a Lathe, Planing Machine, Cabinet and Wagon makers, three stories high, built in 1854--about one-fourth of the water power is used at present; there is also one Cabinet Ware Room; two Blacksmith shops; two Boot and Shoe shops; one Harness and Saddle shop; two Tailors' shops; one Tavern; four general Stores; one Drug and Apothocary store; one Cooper shop; one Lawyer; one Doctor; Post-office.
This village was the first settled place in the town, of what is now called Brooklyn. Mr. Dart located here in 1845, and in connection with Mr. Sherwood, built the Grist Mill, as above stated, in 1849, and a Saw Mill.
The village is regularly platted out. First frame dwelling in town, corner of Main and Hill street, owned by Mr. Simpson. Deacon Olin moved into the town 1848; but two houses at that time in the village--one frame and one log house. There is now some number of good dwellings, and it has become a place of considerable trade.
John C. Gillespy, The History
|Last updated 5/23/1999||This site represents an ongoing effort to collect information related to the history of the town of Brooklyn. If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at email@example.com or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716 (608) 221-1421.|