markesan_header3.jpg (13581 bytes) TOWN OF BROOKLYN
TOWN OF GREEN LAKE
TOWN OF MANCHESTER
TOWN OF MARQUETTE
TOWN OF KINGSTON

FOND DU LAC COUNTY
TOWN OF ALTO
VILLAGE OF FAIRWATER

Green Lake County  |  Town of Mackford  |  City of Markesan's Web Site  |  Markesan Historical Society
  

[Markesan] is very pleasantly situated on the rather uneven land lying on both sides of the Grand River, in the town of Mackford; platted out in 1849; proprietors, John Chappel and C. E. Russell; one and a half miles square; incorporated May, 1853; President, Ira Manley; Trustees, John Parker, P. Nelson, G. Harris, E. A. Wilder and M. George; R. Lexington, Clerk; more than 800 inhabitants; a greater portion Yankees; some fifteen English families. There is one Grist Mill, built, 1846, now owned by Mr. Parker, four stories high, two run of stone; capacity 100 bbls. in twenty-four hours; three Blacksmith shops; one Wagon shop; two Cabinet shops; one Cabinet Ware-room; three Shoe shops; two Taverns; one Drug and Book store; two saloons; four first class country Stores; one Variety Store; one Hardware store; one Stone and Tin shop; one Harness and Saddlery; two Cooper shops; one Livery Stable; one Taylor shop; one Watch Maker and Jeweller; one Milliner; two Physicians; one Meat Market; one Post-office; one Bank of Discount and Deposit--capital $75,000--C. P. Dearbo[r]n, Cashier; Insurance Agent and Notary; one Weekly Newspaper and Job office.

But few villages present a more picturesque panorama. The art of man has adorned, if possible, this spot of ground, so well adapted in its features for the dwellings of man. The village is second in importance in the county; the center of a very rich farming country, its trade is very considerable; its business men are capable and have the means to supply the wants of the population; it is increasing, and will increase, in wealth and population; its advantages for the transportation of merchandise and the products of the country, may not be so convenient as some other places, yet being only six miles from the railroad at Brandon, Fond du Lac county, this length of transportation can affect but little its future growth. (John C. Gillespy, The History of Green Lake County, Berlin: T. L. Terry & Co., 1860)

  

VILLAGE AND AREA HISTORIESline_red.gif (36 bytes)

pondj_uniform.jpg (19815 bytes)
Lt. James Pond, former editor of the Markesan Journal, awarded Medal of Honor for service in the Third Wisconsin Cavalry during the Civil War (courtesy Kevin Dier-Zimmel)

  

utley_depot_fl.jpg (11952 bytes)
The Utley depot on the Brandon-Markesan Railroad, now housed in the Markesan Historical Society museum (photo courtesy Florian Laper)

 

MAPS, CENSUS & LAND PATENT RECORDSline_red.gif (36 bytes)

MACKFORD TOWNSHIP MAPS

MACKFORD TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS

MARKESAN AREA LAND PATENT RECORDS

 

NEWSPAPERSline_red.gif (36 bytes)

cav3_recruitad.jpg (23442 bytes)
Recruitment ad from James Pond's Markesan Journal, Oct. 26, 1861, the last issue Pond published before enlisting in the 3rd Wis Cav.

Markesan has had four newspapers, beginning with the Markesan Journal, published from 1859 through 1863. The Green Lake County Democrat, published initially as the Independent in Princeton in 1876, was published in Markesan from 1881 to 1886. The Markesan Herald has been published from 1881 to the present. The Markesan Enterprise was published from 1896 to 1900.

TRANSCRIPTIONS OF AREA NEWS ITEMS FROM AREA PAPERS

 

GAZETTEERSline_red.gif (36 bytes)

Entries from the 1865-66, 1895-96, 1903-4, 1911-1912, 1913-14, 1919-20, and 1921-22 volumes of the Wisconsin State Gazetteer have been transcribed. Edgar R. Fox & W. T. Dudley's History and Directory of Green Lake and Waushara Counties and the City of Ripon (Berlin: Courant Book and Job Office, 1869) has also been transcribed.

 

BIOGRAPHIESline_red.gif (36 bytes)

Biographical records of early residents in the Markesan area. Many of these are taken from popular books, such as Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin (Chicago: Acme Publishing Co., 1890), which were based on personal narratives and may not be entirely reliable. Viewers are cautioned to verify the information presented.

FOND DU LAC COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

 

STORIES AND REMINISCENCESline_red.gif (36 bytes)

Recollections written by and about residents of Markesan and its immediate area.

thm_pond_twain_sm.jpg (4394 bytes)
James Pond, left, and wife, right, with Samuel Clemens and family, 1895 (courtesy Kevin Dier-Zimmel)

 

BIBLIOGRAPHYline_red.gif (36 bytes)

Historical sources about the Markesan area and its residents, listed in chronological sequence. Extensive collections are also maintained in the Markesan Historical Society museum.

John C. Gillespy, The History of Green Lake County, Berlin: T. L. Terry & Co., 1860
Edgar B. Fox and W. T. Dudley, History and Directory of Green Lake and Waushara Counties and the City of Ripon, Berlin: Courant Book & Job Office, 1869
Rev. W. G. Miller, Thirty Years in the Itinerancy, Milwaukee: I. L. Hauser & Co., 1875
Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Chicago: Acme Publishing Co., 1889
Kate Asaphine Everest, "How Wisconsin Came by Its Large German Element," from Collections of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Volume XII, 1892
Kate Everest Levi, "Geographical Origin of German Immigration to Wisconsin," from Collections of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Volume XIV, 1898
Joseph Schafer, Wisconsin Domesday Book: The Winnebago-Horicon Basin, Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1937

Samuel E. Smith, A History of Markesan, Ripon: Commonwealth Press, 1976

 

Gren Lake Ceounty  |  Town of Mackford  |  City of Markesan's Web Site  |  Markesan Historical Society

Last Updated 6/25/2002

This site represents an ongoing project to document the history of Markesan If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at rmschust@facstaff.wisc.edu or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716, (608) 221-1421.