Fairwater Local History WebFairwater CollectionsFairwater Historical Society
_coll_hdr.jpg (9020 bytes)
 
Contributor: David Schuster, Florian Laper
Source: Personal Photograph, Personal Collection

 

Wisconsin and West Streets

The Fairwater millpond looking east from the dam, ca. 1997. The pond was created originally in 1847 to serve as a source of water power for Dakin and Lathrop's flour mill and later provided power for Jesse Laper's electrical generating plants. (photo by David Schuster)

fw_dam1900.jpg (30168 bytes)

This photograph taken in 1900 was taken about 100 yards west of the picture above, looking east toward the dam  from below the pond. The printed inscription reads "Below the Fairwater dam 1900; the handwritten inscription reads "Laper's Park, Fairwater." (photo courtesy of Florian Laper)