|Historical sources about the Fairwater area and its residents,
listed in chronological sequence. Reference materials and extensive collections are also
maintained in the Brandon Historical
Society and Markesan
Historical Society museums and in the Fairwater
Historical Society collections. The Village Board retains its records from 1921 to the
present. Tax rolls for the town of Metomen and the village of Fairwater are located in the
archives of the State Historical Society Area Research Center at the University of
Wisconsin-Oshkosh Polk Library.
- G. M. West, Metomen, Springvale, Alto and Waupun During
the War, Brandon: Times Office, 1867.
- Rev. W. G. Miller, Thirty
Years in the Itinerancy, Milwaukee: I. L. Hauser & Co., 1875
- The History of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, Chicago:
Western Historical Company, 1880.
- Portrait and Biographical Album of Fond du Lac County,
Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1889.
- Kate Asaphine Everest, "How
Wisconsin Came by Its Large German Element," from Collections of the State
Historical Society of Wisconsin, Volume XII, 1892
- Kate Everest Levi, "Geographical
Origin of German Immigration to Wisconsin," from Collections of the State
Historical Society of Wisconsin, Volume XIV, 1898
- James B. Pond, "A
Pioneer Boyhood," from The Century Magazine, 1899
- The Fairwater Register, Fairwater: Register Office,
- A. T. Glaze, Incidents and Anecdotes of Early Days and
History of Business in the City and County of Fond du Lac from Early Times to the Present,
Fond du Lac: P. B. Haber Printing Company, 1905.
- Maurice McKenna, ed., History of Fond du Lac County,
Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912.
- Joseph Schafer, Wisconsin Domesday Book: The
Winnebago-Horicon Basin, Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1937
- Fairwater Study Club, Village of Fair Water History (1961,
- Zion Lutheran Church, Fair Water Wisconsin: Centennial
Celebration 1872-1972, Markesan, Wisconsin: Markesan Herald Co., 1972.
- Florian Laper, Fair Water: Its History (1998,
- Florian Laper, Jesse Walther Laper: 1892-1956,
(manuscript in progress)